PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- On Dangerous Ground: A Theory of Bargaining, Border Settlement, and Rivalry (with Andrew P. Owsiak). 2021. Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
- Domestic Political Consequences of International Rivalry (w/ Daehee Bak and Kerry Chavez, Texas Tech University). Forthcoming at Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- Presidents Abroad: The Politics of Personal Diplomacy (w/ Ian Ostrander, Michigan State University). Forthcoming at Political Research Quarterly.
- Trade, Arms Races, and Territorial Disputes (w/ Hoon Lee, Texas Tech University). Foreign Policy Analysis, 2018, 14(1): 44-63.
- Determinants of Foreign Aid, Rivalry, and Domestic Instability (w/ Gary Uzonyi). International Interactions, 2017, 43(2): 272-299.
- Territory, Border Settlement, and the Causes of Contiguous Rivalry (w/ Andy Owsiak). Journal of Peace Research, 2015, 52(4): 508-521.
- Disputed Territory, Defensive Alliances and Conflict Initiation (w/ Thorin Wright). Conflict Management and Peace Science, 2014, 31(2): 119-144.
- The Spatial Diffusion of War: The Case of World War I (w/ Sang-Hyun Chi, Colin Flint, Paul Diehl, John Vasquez, Jurgen Scheffran, and Steven Radil). Journal of Korean Geographical Society, 2014, 49(1): 57-76. PDF.
- Uncertainty, Salient Stakes and the Causes of Conventional Arms Races. International Studies Quarterly, 2013, 57: 580-591.
- Clearing the Hurdle: Border Settlement and Rivalry Termination (w/ Andy Owsiak). Journal of Politics, 2013, 75(3): 773-786.
- ConflictSpace of Cataclysm: The International System and the Spread of War 1914-1917 (w/ John A. Vasquez, Paul F. Diehl, Colin Flint, Jurgen Scheffran, and Sang-Hyun Chi). Foreign Policy Analysis, 2011, 7(2): 143-168.
- Just Part of the Game? Arms Races, Rivalry and Competition (w/ Michael G. Findley and Paul F. Diehl). Journal of Peace Research, 2011, 48(1): 85-100.
- Understanding Arms Race Onset: Rivalry, Threat, and Territorial Competition. Journal of Politics, 2009, 71(2): 693-703.
- Taking Arms Against a Sea of Troubles: Conventional Arms Races During Periods of Rivalry (w/ Douglas M. Gibler and Marc L. Hutchison). Journal of Peace Research, 2005, 42(2): 131-147.
- Interest Similarity versus Capability Concentration: Explaining When and What Alliance Members Trade (w/ Douglas M. Gibler). International Interactions, 2004, 30(4): 309-329.